Vactor Ranch Homes For Sale
Vactor Ranch is a gated community in Northeast Tucson conveniently located near shopping, restaurants and Sabino Canyon Park.
The land where the current community now sits was first developed in 1940 by Robinson Carr (Bob) Locke as a horse racetrack and a luxury home overlooking the track. The property was then sold in 1943 to Van Grant who converted the racetrack into a cotton farm. Van only owned the property for a short time and in 1946 sold the property to a group of investors who converted the area into a guest ranch known as Rancho Del Rio.
Rancho Del Rio containted 28 guest rooms and with no AC was only open from Thanksgiving to May 1st. Guests at Rancho Del Rio enjoyed horse back riding, tennis and swimming. Realizing that that being open for only 5 months was not bringing in enough funds the family that owned the guest ranch elected to open Arizona’s first fine dining restaurant, The Tack Room.
From 1965 to 2003 The Tack Room consistently ranked as one of Tucson’s top restaurants, receiving 8 AAA Five Diamond Awards in a row.
In 1996 the land surrounding the four acres The Tack Room sits on was sold to ContraVest who developed 107 single family residential homes into the community known as Vactor Ranch. After The Tack Room’s closure in 2003 the restaurant was removed and the remaining lots where developed making a total of 126 lots in this community.
This well maintained community features a swimming pool, clubhouse, common areas with Southwest landscaping, many homes with gorgeous Catalina Mountain views, sidewalks throughout and is of course easily identified by the 16 foot cowboy boot near the main entrance.